We Love Our Alumni!
The goal is for the Alumni community to serve as a critical support network for our newest Alumni transitioning into college or career. The transition from member to alumni is often a time filled with anxiety, fear and uncertainty as graduating seniors leave the familiarity of their Club to explore new beginnings. Learning from Alumni who have come from similar backgrounds and successfully navigating as a thriving professional will be a profound benefit for young people served by the Boys & Girls Clubs.
The Opportunity & Challenge
Did you know that there are 16 million living Club alumni? Alumni represent Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s largest affinity group; they uniquely, know what the Club means to the millions of youth we serve each year. Consider these statistics:
- Over half of alumni said the Boys & Girls Club saved their life.
- Nearly 70% of alumni said that the Boys & Girls Club was the ONLY place to go after school.
- 88% said the Club was one of the best things available to kids in their community.
- Over 80% would encourage a young person to join today.
- 37% of alumni said that without the Club, they would not have gone to college.
Our core strategies to build our Alumni & Friends community, include:
- Engaging our corporate partners in leveraging Club Alumni who serve as corporate executives; outreach to employee networks; and cause marketing to consumers, fans and followers.
- Involving our celebrity Alumni in engaging their fans, followers and spheres of influence.
- Supporting our Clubs as they expand their local efforts to find and engage alumni.
- Maximizing new digital technologies and social media to improve our membership experiences and offer better paths for engagement in learning and networking
- Receive updates from Boys & Girls Clubs and highlights on Alumni happenings
- Engage in networking and connect with their hometown or local Club.
- Share their story to contribute to a bank of resources that can be leveraged for national spotlights, social promotions and advocacy efforts.
- College & Career Resources: Jobs, Internships, Scholarships
- Online Mentoring (Alum to Alum)
- Leadership & Service Opportunities
Join Alumni & Friends
The Boys & Girls Club saved my life. It made me who I am today, and gave me a Great Future. I’m a proud member of the Alumni Club. I’m ready to take a stand for the next generation.
Mona Dixon, 2010 National Youth of the Year
Ways to Recruit Alumni
- Alumni Video
- Social Media Assets
- Email Templates
- Graduation Cards
- Desktop Screen Saver / TV Ads
Ways to Activate!
- Celebrate the Milestone transition from Member to Alumni! Host a graduation celebration and integrate an alumni induction ceremony. Play the video, ask Club members to make a commitment to serve the Boys & Girls Club mission for a lifetime, and share a message of congratulations with an official graduation card that welcomes members as alumni!
- Outreach to Graduating Seniors & Young AlumniLeverage Social Media Assets and Email Templates to reach out to your members via Facebook, Twitter and email.